I was just asked recently whether I make my own workouts, or if somebody else tells me what to do. While I fully admit to being inspired by others’ workouts and learning new exercises from the internet (thank you, Pinterest!), I do make up all of the routines that I film for YouTube. And I spend some time thinking about the best way to arrange the exercises, what the purpose of the workout is, and how best to explain it on-camera. I am a professional fitness trainer, not just a pretty face. Ha!
Most of the time, I’m aiming for a great stand-alone, full body workout that most people would be able to do without too much difficulty. There are four factors that I consider when I’m putting together workouts:
- Duration – ideally, I like a workout that’s 30 minutes or less
- Intensity – more intensity = more fat- and calorie burn, so it’s best to crank things up to 11
- Simplicity – maybe it’s just me, but I definitely prefer feeling like I’ve mastered an exercise, so I often return to my stable of tried and true moves
- Effectiveness – it’s not fun to work out and not see or feel any results from it, so I aim for exercises that work the major muscle groups
Today’s workout hits the sweet spot for each of these factors – it’s 30 minutes long, including the warm up and cool down; it’s high intensity (with short intervals as a bonus!); the exercises are uncomplicated; and it’s a full body workout, with cardio and strength covered. BOOM! Perfection! My work here is done. 🙂
This is a pretty beginner-friendly workout, too, though there is a fair amount of work in the plank position, which I know is troublesome for a lot of my subscribers. A great way to modify all the planking is to do the cardio portions (Mountain Climbers, Mule Kicks and Rockettes) on an elevated surface, like a couch or a chair. That way you still get the cardio benefit, but don’t have your full bodyweight on your wrists for such a long time.
Check out the video below to follow along in real time or just to get a sense of how the workout is laid out before you take this breakdown with you!
EFFECTIVE Full Body HIIT | 30 Minute No Equipment Cardio, Strength + Abs Workout For FAT LOSS
Set your timer for 15-second intervals.
Warm Up (complete this circuit three times before resting 15 seconds and moving on to the main workout):
- Arm Circles
- High Knees
- Booty Kickers
Main Workout (complete each “triplet” four times in a row, then rest for 15 seconds and move on to the next “triplet.”):
- Mountain Climbers + Pushups + Left Side Plank Hold
- Mule Kicks + Spiderman Sprawls + Right Side Plank Hold
- Rockettes + Bridge Thrusts + Russian Twists
- Squat Burpees + Squats + Standing Crunches
- Washing Machines + Reverse Lunges + Star Balance
- 180-degree Jumps + Diamond Pushups + Plank Hold
Finisher (complete the pair four times in a row without rest):
- Jackknifes + Snow Angels
Cool Down Stretching:
- Ab Stretch
- Cobra Pose
- Child’s Pose
- Quad Stretch
- Arm Stretch
- Chest Stretch
Can’t see the video below? Click here: https://youtu.be/KBj0MXD-xsY
New workouts, right in your inbox! Subscribe for more.
(Not a lot more. Like, two emails a week. And definitely no spam!)