I’ve waxed eloquent about MetCon workouts before, haven’t I? I mean, okay, maybe not eloquent, but certainly I’ve told you how awesome these workouts are and how much I love them?
Well, even if I have, I’m going to again.
Because I LOVE MetCons!
They are truly the best of both worlds when it comes to exercising at home and getting the most bang for your workout buck. Here’s what I’m talking about. MetCons (which is short for Metabolic Conditioning Workouts) give you:
- All the heart-pounding cardio your brain wants and your body needs (cardio burns fat and calories and increases the efficiency of your heart and lungs)
- Plenty of muscle-building strength work (which builds your bone density and lean muscle mass, which in turn helps you burn more calories all day every day, and shapes your body into beautiful lean lines)
- A fast and FUN workout that is never boring and rarely lasts more than 45 minutes
What more could you ask for?
Oh, I don’t know. Maybe the best of the best – a MetCon workout that includes RUNNING and KETTLEBELLS? Okay, sure!
Seriously, I think this is one of my most favorite workouts ever. (I know I say that a lot. I really do love them all.)
You can set this BEGINNER-FRIENDLY workout up very easily on your own (I’ve rated it Beginner+ because it’s easier to do if you have some prior knowledge of kettlebells and the pace is pretty quick); you’ll need an interval timer and one kettlebell. The exercises are simple and straightforward and cover all the major muscle groups in your body, plus they’re nearly all performed in a standing position. If you don’t have a kettlebell, you can very easily substitute a dumbbell.
Indoor RUNNING + KETTLEBELL | 30 Minute MetCon Workout for Total Body Shape + Tone
Set your timer for one minute intervals. Perform the cardio work (walking, jogging or running – your choice!) for one minute. Between each cardio interval, pause your timer and perform these kettlebell strength exercises for ten reps each. Repeat the circuit three times.
- Single-Handed Swings (10x on each side)
- Single-Sided Push-Press (10x on each side)
- Reverse Lunge Figure 8s (10x on each side)
- Windmills (10x on each side)
Finisher: Re-set your timer for 20-second intervals. Walk, jog or run for 20 seconds. At the beep, come down to a plank position and perform one Renegade Row. Return immediately to walking, jogging or running. Repeat ten times.
Rather follow along with the full-length video? Watch it here on YouTube: https://youtu.be/5QVna0XKT34
Cheers to running and strength training for the long haul,
New workouts, right in your inbox! Subscribe for more.
(Not a lot more. Like, two emails a week. And definitely no spam!)